Pearl of Wisdom
to Jabir, ?O Jabir, a boy will be born to my son al-Husayn who shall be called 'Ali and when Judgment Day comes, a caller will announce, 'Let the master of worshippers rise' and 'Ali b. al-Husayn will rise, and then from 'Ali a son will be born by the name of Muhammad. ?O Jabir, when you see him, Imam Ja'far b. Muhammad al-Sadiq (AS) convey my greetings to him and know that your lifespan after seeing him will be short.'
Prophet Muhammad al-Mustafa [sawa]
Bihar al-Anwar, v. 46, p. 227, no, 9
Sexual Ethics & Morals
Salaat / Prayers
Business / Investment
Sexual Ethics & Morals
Divorce / Talaq
Fasting / Sawm / Roza
Ask Qul - QA
Subject: Marriage with a christian
I'm a muslim man, 25 years old. I like a Christian girl and would like to get married to her. She is ready to accept Islam (if she has to) and lead life as a wife the Islamic way (Hijaab.. etc).
I understand that Surah Ma'idah allows a muslim man to marry a chaste christian. But I have a list of questions I would like to get clarified:
1) Is it necessary/better if she accepts Islam before marriage?
2) Is it necessary for all her family members to accept Islam before marriage?
3) Since any relationship before marriage is haraam, is it best to get married soon and repent for the sins together OR end this relationship altogether? Would I be committing a sin if I dont marry her because I dont know if she will accept Islam then.
4) What are the pre requisites for this marriage to be valid? Who can be a wali for her (since there is no Muslim man in her family).
5) What if my parents/relatives do not approve of this marriage (solely based on the fact that she is a christian and the society will talk ill of us)? They do not know yet but I wish to make them aware of this as soon as possible. What is the right thing to do? What rights do parents/relatives have over my decision of marrying someone? (Although I cannot think of going against my parents will. May Allah guide us the right way).
6) What are the things the girl should be made aware of before marriage? ( Like example, telling her that the children will follow Islam ONLY and will not participate/learn/follow any other religion).
7) Is her family welcome to our home after marriage? Are they considered and respected the same way as a mother/sister-in-law (had this been a marriage with a Muslim woman)?
Your answers will be appreciated. Thank you.
May Allah bless us and guide us to the right path.
Our Sheikh will respond to this question in the coming days Insha'Allah, check again soon